The following dispatch was filed today by Boutari’s Santorini enologist Ioanna Vamvakouri.
We harvested the Athiri on August 12-13 and the harvest of Assyrtiko began on August 14 and is still in progress.
The grapes are cooled overnight at 10-12 C. The next day the grapes are sorted and about 20% of the higher quality fruit is macerated in the press for 1 to 3 hours and then is pressed. The remaining 80% is pressed without maceration.
Most of Athiri comes from our own vineyard in Selladia and the rest of it from the Akrotiri and Megalochori zones.
From August 14-18, we harvested the Assyrtiko in the vineyards of Akrotiri zone and from August 19-23 we proceeded to Megalochori.
This year grapes are of high quality without any disease. Vine moths are rare and are contained only in some parts of the vineyards. Total acidity of the grape is as usual high.
Aromas of the must still in fermentation are that of litchi, pear and white peach.